What is Chiropractic
Chiropractic is a healthcare profession that takes a holistic approach to patient care. It is a profession that realizes that the human body is a self-healing, self-regulating organism. Where the medical field continually seeks to get more specialized and look at the body as a machine that can be broken down into individual parts, Chiropractic realizes that the body is one unit and must be treated as a whole. This unit is monitored and controlled by the Nervous System, made up of the Brain, Spinal Cord, and Nerves. Without proper Nervous System function (communication to and from every cell, tissue, and organ in the body), you cannot express optimal health.
Since the Spinal Cord is housed in the back, Chiropractors work with the bones and joints of the back to affect the Nervous System. If your spinal bones, called Vertebra, are misaligned, you have a subluxation causing malfunction of the nerves that exit the back. This malfunction is caused by a lack of proper movement of the joints of that vertebra, causing miscommunication between the Brain and the cells, tissues, and organs innervated by the nerve exiting at that level. Depending on the level, these nerves can go anywhere in the body. Symptoms can show up locally as joint pain, back pain, neck pain,headaches, carpal tunnel syndrome and/or sciatica; and/or, they can show up as organ problems such as asthma, allergies, digestive disorders, bedwetting, ADD/ADHD, etc.
In summary, Chiropractic works on the following basic principles:
1. The body is a self-healing and self-regulating and has all the means necessary to produce health.
2. The Nervous system (Brain and Spinal Cord) is the master control system, it controls and coordinates the function of every cell, tissue, and organ in your body.
3. Subluxation (misalignment) causes interference with Brain to Body communication which interferes with the body’s ability to express health.
4. Chiropractic locates and removes Nervous System interference, returning optimal communication between Brain and body, and therefore, optimal health.
Being a holistic-minded profession, it would not be right for Chiropractors to only address the spine. After all, subluxations are not the only cause of the loss of health and disease. A person’s lifestyle is also a major player in determining their overall health. Without practicing proper exercise, nutrition, and thought patterns, a person cannot be truly healthy.
It is these 4 components that Chiropractic seeks to address in order to bring complete Wellness to the individual:
- Optimally Aligned Spine = Optimally Functioning Nervous System
- Proper Nutrition
- Proper Exercise
- Proper Mental Attitude